Sunday, March 13, 2011

Gluten Fee Cake Mix Review















After the taste test with gluten free cake mixes from Betty Crocker and Cherrybrook Kitchens, Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free Cake Mix needed a test. As far as pricing, it's about the same as the others ~$4.50/box but Arrowhead Mills coupons are easier to come by.

Just like Betty Crocker, this mix calls for eggs in the recipe. Remember, there are many options for baking without eggs. Applesauce (1/4 C:1 egg) is an easy vegan substitute for eggs. Though in this case, I made the cake as suggested on the box.

The flavor of this cake was vanilla so I have to take that difference into account (the others were chocolate). The texture of it was gritty and even though the mix was really runny, the cake wasn't as moist as you would expect. That could've been because I left it in the oven longer to make up for the liquidity of the mix to begin with...which came first?... If I tried it again, I'd use less water but I have to admit, I'm still liking Betty's mix.

No comments: