Monday, March 31, 2008

Enviro-Friendly Printers

Well you wouldn’t think it would be so difficult to find an environmentally friendly printer, would you? I mean it's not like I live in the boon docks. I live in Atlanta. Most places I called were just silent on the other end. Soy ink? Vegetable based ink? 100% post-consumer product, what’s that? Oiy!

I decided to call some paper companies near me. Found one that recycles 10,000 tons of paper sludge a year. I figured they could help or at least lead me to someone who could.

Sure enough, I got two leads for printers and a basic education on the story behind vegetable based inks. Seems they use 5% linseed oil by-product and the other 95% is still pertroleum based. That’s the only way to get the ink to dry. However, a soy based ink is 80% soy and a much better option.

I was overjoyed when one of the printers could match my color choice with soy ink and was able to print on 100% post-consumer card stock.

Just keep in mind that soy based inks are a bit lighter and you may want to consider a heavier font but overall, I am totally pleased and proud of my new business cards.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is great that you found someone. I had looked around and did find a fit and ended up printing with GreenerPrinter.com in CA. But is their soy ink, recycled paper and completely wind powered facility enough to offset the polution emmitted from shipping? Well, actually they do ship "Carbon Free", as certified by Carbonfund.org. But I would still feel more comfortable if I could remove the whole shipping cross country element. Could you please share the name of the green printer you found in Atlanta. Thanks.