Saturday, December 20, 2008

Organic carrots washed in chlorine

My original post on this subject was back in November. It took an email and a little phone tag but I did finally speak with someone in the corporate office concerning chlorine on our organic carrots. Well, they do in fact wash the carrots in a solution of water and chlorine. The amount of chlorine is "the same as that in your tap water". Did I mention I filter my tap water...

Seems they do this for obvious reasons; to kill any potential bacteria on the carrots. Other than that, nothing else is used on them. There are no colors or preservatives used and I specifically asked if they put preservatives in the packaging. The answer, "no".

I also asked about the white residue and the answer is as follows: if the white residue is dry, your carrots are drying out. However, if it's a slimy white residue your carrots are going bad and breaking down. You need to toss those out or return them for a refund if the package is within the "use by" date.

Both scenarios have happened to us. I have to say, I like my Raleigh readers idea: just buy whole fresh carrots dug out of the ground and peel and cut them yourself.

Now you know.

No comments: