Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Save 50% on Hair Color

After breaking down and deciding to go ahead and cover my gray, I bought a box of semi-permanent, ammonia free hair color. Trying to be as natural and kind to my scalp as possible. Anyway, seemed like an awful lot of color for just my hairline and being the frugal woman that I am was not excited about dumping the rest of it down the drain. That's MONEY! Not to mention, the excess toxins having to be filtered out of our water supply.

What's a girl to do? Got it! Grabbed an empty and clean peanut butter jar that was headed for the recycling bin. I emptied 1/2 the activation creme into it. Marking the original bottle with a Sharpie was quite helpful in keeping me at the 1/2 way point. Next I poured 1/2 the colorant into the jar. This was trickier as that bottle is not clear. A bit of guess work here but I think I got it. Remember, go slow at this point. You can always add a little more, but once it's in, it's in. Shake and from here, I continued with the enclosed instructions.

Because the peanut butter jar doesn't have a squeeze top, this round was a bit messy. I scooped out a bit (don't forget the gloves) and smeared it on my hair. The consistency of this hair color is gel like so that helps. The remainder of the activation creme and colorant are still unmixed in their original containers for next time.

Results not guaranteed, but saving 50% is!

Nothing Glamorous Here Girls!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I've been reading up on henna for hair coloring! I'm looking for an alternative to using toxins in my hair to cover the grays. What are you using? What a great idea to save the remaining hair color for future treatments! Thanks!