Saturday, July 19, 2008

Alpharetta Farmers Market

Today our family headed out to the Alpharetta Farmers Market. It's in "downtown" Alpharetta. Being a lover of the real downtown, Atlanta that is, I feel a bit odd using the term "downtown" to describe a few cross streets 5 miles from my suburban home. At any rate, that's where we went. We showed up around 12:30. Since they close at 1:00, we had half an hour to mingle about before they started to pack up. Now, we're just getting started with our farmers market up here so it doesn't take long to cover the 15 or so booths currently participating. However, it is well worth your time. The kids love it. I was so proud of Lindsey when she chose and organic brownie for her treat of the day over a snow cone made of ice and colored sugar syrup (odd item for a farmers market).
We mingled around, made a few purchases of fresh produce and made note of items for a future trip (organic olive oil and home grown honey). As one farmer was packing up, he held up a huge cabbage and asked me "do you eat cabbage?" I quickly responded, "SURE we do". He handed it to me and said "here have a cabbage". Thank you! Instead of lasagna, I think I'll be making stuffed cabbage leaves this week. Note: when going to the farmers market, stay until closing time. You never know what a farmer would rather leave behind than cart back. It was a fun morning.

No comments: