Friday, July 4, 2008

I forgot to read the label...

Ok, I admit it. I forgot to read the label. We were at the organic food store-you know the one, and I saw their brand of organic peanut butter. Normally I buy natural peanut butter from the grocery store down the street. Their store brand choice only has peanuts and salt. Ok, so it's not organic but it's all natural and only $2.50 a jar.

Back to the organic peanut butter. So I notice it's $2.56 and I think "wow, that's the same price as the non-organic brand at the other grocery store. Wonder how they can do that". Put it in the cart, buy it, bring it home.

A few days later, I open it and all of us are amazed at how creamy it is. Even my husband made a comment. Ya, what gives? The natural peanut butters usually take a bit more muscle work to blend back in all the oil that seperated. I turn the jar over and read the label. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The ingredients say: oganic dry roasted peanuts, organic PALM OIL, organic pure CANE SUGAR, sea salt. NO WAY. NO NO WAY. PALM OIL? What? The peanuts aren't oily enough.

That explains it. They added palm oil and sugar which means there are less peanuts so they can sell it so inexpensively. I'm going back to my other grocery store next week for the $2.50 jar of peanuts and salt.

So don't feel bad, even veterans at label reading get tired and slip.

Oh, did we eat the peanut butter? Ya, and I have to say, it tasted really good...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad on that one. I generally have two little ones in tow with me at the grocery store and I have to stick to the brands I know b/c I do not have time to continually read labels on new products. Just tonight, I purchased organic store brand cookies - my husband and I need an adult treat late at night - and after I tore in the bag did I notice the best before date - which was back in JULY. Needless to say, my husband had lots of comments for me as I am such a stickler for reading all labels on products I bring into the home. We had a good laugh on that one as we devoured the box of cookies.