Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Ate WHAT???

Confessions of an Everyday Organic:

Yes, it's true; I ate Smucker's dessert topping out of the jar with a spoon.

Let me explain. It's the 4th of July, we're all at the lake...eating...and just like everyone else, I wanted dessert. Apple Pie or Key Lime Pie but I don't like pie. "What do you mean, you don't like PIE?!" bursts out my sister and then adds, "I make Mom's Apple Pie every Thanksgiving!".

"You've known me for 41 years and I have never liked pie. It has nothing to do with your pie, Mom's pie, or anyone's pie. I don't like cooked soft fruit so I don't like pie."

Now that we have that cleared up, what's for dessert? Everyone was putting fudge topping on their pie and the jar was about finished. In my 42 years, one thing is for sure, I have always been a chocolate lover. I took the jar, a spoon and sat down with everyone to eat my dessert.

My Dad just starred at me, took the jar out of my hand, and read the label. NO WAY. He hasn't read one nutrition label his whole life until now. "I'd like to know what your readers would think if they knew you were eating this. In fact, I challenge you to blog about this". Spoken confidently from a man who just a few years ago was asking "blog, what is that and how are you gonna make a living off a blog?" And "Honey, I've eaten this way for x amount of years. I'm fine." Anyway, so here I am making my confession.

My family proceeded to read the ingredients out loud and I will list them in order for you here: milk, sugar, high fructose corn syrup (b/c sugar isn't sweet enough apparently...), partially hydrogenated oil (I could've done w/o knowing that one), and finally cocoa, diglicerides and sitrates.

I am not proud, but I am honest. We all break down and get desperate. Point is, be an Everyday Organic and do the best you can everyday. It's another day in North Georgia and I'm planning on doing better. I'm up for dinner tonight so I can tell you I didn't buy a frozen lasagna for 17 people, I am making turkey lasagna from scratch.

Happy 4th!

No comments: