Thursday, June 25, 2009

Stevia, Honey, Agave Nectar and more


Prompted by a question emailed from a reader, here’s a few words on sweeteners:

*Stevia-from the Stevia plant, this sweetener is an extract and much sweeter than sugar. Because it’s a powder, it easily dissolves making it the perfect sweetener for you tea drinkers. Personally, I have to admit there is an after taste that reminds me of artificial sweetener and therefore, it’s not my favorite. I’ve recently learned that the purer the Stevia extract, the less the after taste so I may just have to give it another shot. However, this zero calorie natural sweetener is rising in fame. While it’s a bit on the pricey side, a little goes along way. Try it, you just may like it.

*Evaporated Cane Juice-Unlike its conventional counterpart, white sugar, EVCJ is unbleached and golden in color. The juice is extracted from the sugar cane and once the moisture has been evaporated, we’re left with sweet golden crystals. Using evaporated cane juice for baking is a…piece of cake, as you use the same amount listed in the recipe for white sugar. Though its availability is becoming main stream, it will cost you more than white sugar but significantly less than my next two choices.
NOTE: Evaporated Cane Juice is still sugar and should be consumed in moderation.

*Honey-As I kid I never liked the taste of honey but that’s all changed now. Not to mention there are a variety of flavors. The honey takes on the flavor of the flowers that the bees got the nectar from. Pretty cool, isn’t it? From experimenting, I found Wild Flower Honey very strong in flavor, Orange Blossom has a hint of orange and reminds me of something delicious for breakfast~biscuits and honey perhaps. Clover Honey is my overall favorite. Its mild flavor makes it perfect for baking but still has enough “yum” to add to my toast or plain yogurt.

When baking with honey, start by using ½ the amount called for in sugar. For example, if the recipe calls for 1C sugar, use 1/2C honey instead. Substitute up to 1C sugar with honey. If using any more than that, you may have to lessen your liquid a bit.

While raw honey is not recommended for children under two, there are benefits for us bigger kids. It has a lower glycemic index than sugar and is sweeter than sugar so you don’t have to use as much. All be it a small amount, honey also contains vitamins.

The honey bee shortage has led to a recent spike in pricing. Keep in mind the benefits of honey and I think you’ll agree, it’s still worth it.

*Agave Nectar (“ah-GAH-vay”)-From the succulent Agave plant this nectar is made from the sap in the pina. It’s then filtered and heated at a low temperature (below 118°F). This sweet liquid boasts an even lower glycemic index than honey and is gaining popularity among those with blood sugar issues (consult a health care professional for medical advice). This is my new personal favorite. I’ll admit, it ain’t cheap but being that it’s a natural sweetener which claims anti-inflammatory and immune boosting qualities, I can’t resist. It flavors my no cook chocolate pudding fabulously and even takes the bite out of Jen's 4,3,2,1 green juice when the apples aren’t sweet enough to do the trick. Agave nectar pours faster than honey so be careful, it doesn’t take much. I use Agave nectar in smoothies and other raw recipes. For baking, I stick with honey and/or evaporated cane juice because it makes the most sense for us economically.

A few sweet words from me to you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My fav is agave, stevia next!Used them for years." Denise

Unknown said...

Where can one find agave nectar without having to hit Whole Foods - which is a bit far for me. Thanks

Anonymous said...

"My mom told me that agave is one of the sweeteners you can have if you are doing the macrobiotic diet for cancer...I tried some at her house, it was much better than stevia."
FB reader

Anonymous said...

"Wow, you really got some thing good going here. Thanks for sharing. I've been working out again and need to change much of what I eat."
FB reader

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried Tupelo Honey? I swear it tastes like roses to me.
FB reader