Sunday, August 2, 2009

Savannah Bee Company


Home to the world's finest artisanal honey, fabulous body care products, and organic lip balm. While oohing and aahing over all the goodies, Sydney and I got an education as well; Lindsey had already run off to play in the honey house.

Honey is one of my favorite natural sweeteners so I knew the honey took on the flavor of the flowers that the bees pollinated but what I didn't know was how that was controlled. Kim, the export manager, explained that the bees are actually moved to the area where the flowers are blooming. She had just taken part in the transport of hives to the Altamaha River in Southeast Georgia. As you can imagine, this is tricky; no one wants to be near angry bees. OUCH! Sorry Kim; I think I'd rather be in tasting. That would explain the head to toe gear.

This moving to the Altamaha is what yields that yummy Tupelo honey which is considered the standard to which all other honeys are compared. We were also privileged to taste some Acacia honey. It's flown in by the barrel from Italy and is worth every effort.

The Savannah Bee Company is a must stop when in Savannah. The shopping is fun and oh so kid friendly with the honey house, chalk board, toys, learning hive, and theater. Trust me, you'll have all your purchases in hand before they even notice. Until your trip south, visit them online and if you have a hard time choosing, may I suggest a honey sampler. Now isn't that a sweet idea.

No comments: