Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Reader Disagrees

I was challenged by one of my readers in regards to my mentioning Xylitol as an artificial sweetener to avoid. She said, "Xylitol is listed as an ingredient in many organic foods". Yes, it is.

Ok, first let me say I have elaborated and perhaps corrected the information listed under artificial sweeteners. Sorbitol, Mannitol, and Xylitol are sugar alcohols and I suppose considering them "artificial" or "manufactured" is one's own opinion. However, you do the Google search...and don't just read the info from the dentists promising you little or no tooth decay from these sugar substitutes.

Alright, now that we have that cleared up, I want to applaud my reader for knowing what is listed on the ingredients label. GREAT JOB! This also serves as a reminder to us all. Even if an ingredient is used in products sold by a store who is leading the way in organic foods, it doesn't mean it's best to consume. You still need to decide for yourself. Remember how Saccharin (Saccharine) and Aspartame were all the rage, and then what happened? Ya, it took many years for us to wake up, but we did and now look? Those are on the "no-no" list of many health conscious industries. All I'm saying is be careful and don't just run with the masses. Think about what you're eating and how things are made. If it's manufactured, you oughta' think twice or maybe three times before you consider it the miracle we've all been looking for.

No comments: