Sunday, May 4, 2008

What not to eat

When reading those labels, you might be wondering "so what am I looking for?" You're not the only one. Recently my mother said to me, “Ok, give me a list of what I’m not supposed to be eating.” Here you go Mom:

*Preservatives: Sulfites, Sulfates, Nitrites, Nitrates

*Artificial Sweeteners: Saccharin (also spelled: Saccharine), Sucralose (in Splenda), Aspartame (in Nutra-Sweet and Equal), Sugar Alcohols (some would argue these aren't artificial and my sister argues "how am I supposed to sweeten my coffee?"): Sorbitol, Mannitol, Xylitol
(While I realize some of these "sweeteners" are controversial, I choose to avoid anything created in a lab.)

*Artificial Flavors

*Food Coloring: FDC # any

*Hormones: BGH or rBGH (added/injected growth hormones)

*Partially hydrogenated oils

1 comment:

Admin said...

never thought of xylitol as not good for you. but i like how you reminded us that aspartame use to be "all the rage". i would like to know your opinion on stevia?

kari