Friday, May 30, 2008

Why We Don't Recycle

Yesterday I made "Baked Beans" in the Crockpot. YUMMY-must share recipe in another Blog. They were a big hit with the family. I used canned pinto beans and I confess, I threw the cans in the trash. I am not a big fan of recycling cans in the summer because ants here in the South can be a REAL nuisance. However, my conscience immediately got the best of me and I pulled them back out. I rinsed them and in the process, my finger grazed the sharp edge of one can and I cut my finger. OUCH! Pause...continue cooking as all moms do.

Later that night, I reached in my purse for something and caught that finger in the same spot and re-opened the wound. OUCH again!

Funny a small cut can cause so much pain. I said to my husband, "this doesn't help the cause of recycling any. If I had left the cans in the trash I wouldn't have cut my finger. Now I could get an infection, lose my finger and never play tennis again. All because I recycled a few cans".

Ok, so I'm exaggerating but it is those moments of irritation and inconvenience that do stop us from acting on our good intentions. I say all this to say, YOU my friend are not alone. There are Everyday Organics all around you trying to fight the good fight against needless waste. Hang in there, your efforts are not in vain. Recycle On!

No comments: