Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Recycle Old Sneakers

I finally took our old sneakers to be recycled. I have had them in a bag at the bottom of the recycling bin for longer than I'd like to admit. Then again, we are EVERYDAY organics not PERFECT organics-right? So yesterday I headed down to the science academy filled with pride and determination that these shoes would not be hitting the landfill. Only I was met with disappoinment. I was told the athletic company who used to accept them no longer does and therefore the science academy had nowhere to deliver them.

Bummer! That's a step in the wrong direction. Surely that can't be. So today I do a Google search and find an article from 5-9-08 about Nike's Re-Use a Shoe program. YEAH! I immediately called the science academy to let them know "Nike is recycling shoes, you can start your program again!" Not sure what they'll do with that info but I'll follow up next fall.

Anyway, back to our old tennis shoes-yours too. Nike will take:

• Athletic shoes only (any brand)
• No shoes containing metal
• No cleats , No dress shoes
• No wet/damp shoes

Since the program started, they have recycled over 20,000,000 shoes and have created 250 sports surfaces with the ground up shoes. See Nike Grind for more details. It's pretty cool.

If you live in the Atlanta area, you can drop them off at Nike Town at Phipps Plaza in Buckhead. If your dropping off more than a bag full, you need to call ahead and give them a heads up. For other locations in the US, visit the Nike Re-Use a Shoe site. I did my research and seems even in a big city like Atlanta, this is the only gig in town for recycling old sneakers. I'm sure that will change in the future but until then, may you hear a little voice inside reminding you to be an Everyday Organic before tossin' those old stinkies in the trash.



Learn more about Nike Grind

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas, thanks.

Tom P. said...

As Nike's global record often makes me cringe I would also suggest finding out more about an organization called Soles4Souls. I found out about them through various races that I have recently run. They accept any type of shoe and have many donation locations. In the Atlanta area you can drop shoes off at Foot Solutions stores.